Are Mushrooms Poisonous to Dogs?

Some types of mushrooms are poisonous to dogs and other pets. However, not all are. If your dog ate a mushroom and you are worried it is toxic, call your local veterinarian or the pet poison helpline immediately.

Some mushrooms kill rapidly while others make a dog sick for days before becoming fatal. Luckily, the majority of mushrooms are not dangerous. Do not take chances, though. To assist the vet in determining whether the mushroom is potentially poisonous, follow these steps:

Take Pictures

If your dog has left any mushroom evidence, take pictures of it. Make sure to include close-ups of all aspects of the mushroom, including the cap, gills (underneath), and stem. Blurry or distant pictures are not helpful. Take good pictures!

Include photos of the environment surrounding the mushroom. This includes the ground, trees, and other potentially habitat-specific notations. If there are other specimens of the same mushroom around, pick them to bring to the vet with you.

Note the Surroundings

The majority of mushrooms are habitat-specific. This means they grow in certain locations during specific times of the year. A fungus that grows on the ground doesn’t usually also grow on rotten logs. Location is extremely helpful when identifying a mushroom.

Record Unusual Behavior

Is your dog acting unusual or obviously demonstrating sickness? Common symptoms include vomiting, seizures, loss of balance, excessive salivating, yellowing of the skin and eyes, and coma-like sleep. Contact the vet immediately or call animal poison control if you notice any of these symptoms.

Take Preventative Measures

Remove mushrooms from your yard or any common area that your dog plays. Mushrooms pop up in all seasons, so keep an eye out for new specimens throughout the year. If there is a specific type that keeps reappearing, contact a local mushroom group or expert to see if it is a poisonous variety.